The Department of Zoology was established in 1981.
The strength of department lies in well qualified experienced faculty. The staff members of the Department are always approachable to the students and assist them in proactive learning. In addition to classroom duties, the staff members conduct a variety of activities to equip the students to successfully face future endeavors. Programs such as workshops, talks by renowned scholars, educational field trips to national laboratories, Wild life sanctuaries, Zoological parks, Museum and other places of zoological importance are regularly conducted by the department.
The department has developed state-of-art laboratory facilities with instruments like UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, CO2 Incubator, BOD Incubator, Bacteriological Incubator, Electrophoresis units, Analytical Balances, Research centrifuges, Binocular microscopes, Inverted Microscope with Phase contrast attachment, Stereo-Zoom Microscopes, DO meter and so on.
The department has been organizing a number of workshops for enriching the course-content as well as teaching skills. A state level workshop to review Zoology Syllabus of Semester I & II for the college teachers was organized by the department in March 2010, an Orientation course for Higher Secondary teachers in Nov.2010, a National level conference in February 2011. Similarly, a Two-day Need-based Workshop to Review Zoology Syllabus of Semester V & VI was conducted in April 2012, the recommendations of which have been accepted by the Board of Studies in Zoology and implemented in the curriculum. Thus, the teachers of Zoology department participate in curriculum design, have served as BOS members and actively contributed to examination work at Goa University.
Principal Dr. Yasmin Modassir, and Mrs. Suchana Amonkar have undertaken Major research projects funded by National funding agencies like UGC, DOD and DST. Dr. Yasmin Modassir has published many original research papers in peer reviewed National and International scientific Journals. She is a recognized guide for M. Phil. and Ph. D. degree in the subject of Zoology.
Students of Zoology have excelled in Academics and extra-curricular activities. They have won accolades at various competitions. Our alumni are gainfully employed in various sectors of administration, education, and scientific research, in India as well as countries abroad.
|No. of Teaching and Administrative staff:||9|
|No. of seminars / conferences organized:||20|
|No. of Research Projects completed|
|No. of Ongoing Projects completed|
|Activities:||The Nature Club of the Department Organized a poster competition on “Mhadei Lifeline of Goa” on 24th August 2016 under Personality enhancement Programme. 16 posters from B.Sc. / B.A. / Biotechnology Students were exhibited.|
|Details of Value Addition courses||:|
|Name:||: ED Programme on fish farming and fishery products|
|Significance of Course:||The Course is aimed at motivating the students to improvise their technical skills and giving them an opportunity to become self- employed. Training is imparted in various fields like mussel culturing, crab culture, open cage culture, fabrication of aquarium tank and preparation of various fish based and value added products.|
|Name of Faculty/Qualification||:||Ms. Swizel Quadros M.Sc.|
|Name||:||Mr. Vishram Gawas|
|Year of Joining||:||1981|
|Years completed in college||:||32 years|
|Name||:||Mr. Vasudev B. Naik|
- On “Glimpses of Wild Life and scope of wild life Biology” by AjaiSaxena, Principal Chief Conservator of Forest, Department of Forest on 11th January 2017 for F.Y. B.Sc. students.
- On career counseling by Apna Formula, Pato Plaza on 4th January 2017
- On leadership by members of an NGO, Universal Peace Federation of India on 13th July 2016 for F.Y.B.Sc. students.
- 23 students of S.Y. & T.Y.B. Sc. Zoology participated in Three Days Short-term Training program organized by Fisheries department from 18th to 20thJanuary, 2017 at Fishermen Training Centre, Ela, Dhauji, and Old Goa.
- 7 students of S.Y. and T.Y. B.Sc. Zoology participated and won prizes in various competitions at the two Days intercollegiate festival ‘Symbiosis’ organized on 16th and 17th December, 2016 by Zoology Department of ParvatibaiChowgule College of Arts & Science, Margao-Goa.
- Miss SanjanaStephenie Robertson and Miss ThotrinphiA. W.of S.Y. B.Sc. class participated in Bird Festival of Goa 2016 held at Bondla from 11th to 13th November 2016.
- 4 students attended Interactive session with Dr. Vilas Bardekar, IFS, Chairperson Maharashtra State Biodiversity Board (MSBB); Retired Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forest, Govt. of Maharashtra along with presentation on “Biodiversity of Butterflies and their Ecological Significance” held on 19th November 2016 at International Centre Goa
- 5 students of F.Y. B. Sc. Zoology participated in International Pre-Conference Workshop organized by Asian Association for Biology Education (AABE) under the theme: Trends in Biology Education and Research: Practices and Challenges, held on 20th September 2016 in the Department of Zoology, Dhempe College of Arts & Science.
- Miss ArtiMahadevGaude, student of S.Y.B.Sc Zoology participated in singing competition (ShravanDhara) at PES College on 27th August 2016.
- 10 students of F.Y. B. Sc. Zoology participated in Two Days Short-term Training program organized by Fisheries department from 25th to 26th August, 2016 at Fishermen Training Centre, Ela, Dhauji, and Old Goa.
- Satyajit Pereira, T.Y. B.Sc. Zoology participated and was awarded second prize in the contest in the Seminar on Youth Population and Responsibilities on occasion of World Population Day Celebrations organized by Goa Science Centre & Planetarium on 11th& 12th July 2016.
- Major Research Project titled “Environmental Impact Assessment of Ground Water Quality of Mhadei River Basin with respect to Microbiological, Chemical and Geological Parameters” which was funded by UGC, was concluded successfully and the project report was submitted to UGC. The project was conducted under the guidance of Dr. (Mrs.) Yasmin Modassir as Principal investigator. Mrs. Suchana P. Amonkar contributed to the project as an investigator.
- Minor research project titled “Effect of Manganese on various tissues of Paphia malabarica: A biochemical study on Metabolites and Metabolic enzymes” was sanctioned by UGC to Mrs. Suchana P. Amonkar who is Principal Investigator of the Project. The duration of project is 2 years (2015-2017).
- S. J. Godse participated and presented a Research paper at 25th Biennial Conference of Asian Association for Biology Education held at University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia held from 13th Oct to 16th Oct 2014.
- S. J. Godse Participated as Organizer in the 4th Bharatiya Vigyan Samelan at Panaji Goa from 5th to 8th February 2015 which was jointly organized by Vijnana Bharati, Govt. of Goa and Goa University.
- S.J. Godse is appointed as member of Regional Empowered Committee of MoEF & CC, Govt. of India.
Non-Conventional Course title : Aquarium: Fabrication, Management and Maintenance
Course Co-ordinator : Mrs. Suchana P. Amonkar
Duration : 8 Sessions (12 hrs.)